Kicking in a door takes a lot of force and can cause extensive frame damage. While you can repair an exterior door frame, it is usually easier to replace both the frame and the door. Here are the basics of how to fix a kicked-in door. Plus, we explain what happens when a door is kicked in and how much kicked-in door repairs coss.
What Happens When a Door Is Kicked In?
When an exterior door is kicked in, the force of the impact can cause severe damage to the door and door frame. The door may become misaligned, the hinges may be damaged, and the door frame may be cracked or broken. In severe cases, the door may be completely knocked off its hinges, and the door frame may be completely destroyed.
Depending on the extent of the damage, it is unlikely you will be able to close the door or secure your home. It is important to repair a kicked-in door as soon as possible to ensure the security of your home and to prevent further damage.
The best way to temporarily secure your home is to attach plywood to the inside and outside of your home. This way intruders cannot unscrew the exterior panel and gain access to your home. Still, you should repair your door as quickly as possible for your own safety and comfort.
How Do You Fix a Kicked-In Door Frame?
If you have a door frame that has been kicked in and is no longer secure, it is important to repair it as soon as possible to ensure the safety and security of your home. Here are some steps you can follow to fix a kicked-in door frame:
- Secure the area: If the door frame has been kicked in, there is a chance that the perpetrator is still nearby. Make sure to secure the area and call the police if you feel unsafe.
- Remove any debris: Use a broom or dustpan to sweep away any debris from the door frame.
- Determine the extent of the damage: Carefully inspect the door frame to determine the extent of the damage. If the frame is cracked or broken, it will likely need to be replaced.
- Repair or replace the frame: If the frame is only slightly damaged, you may be able to repair it by filling in the gaps with wood filler and sanding the area until it’s smooth. If the frame is severely damaged, you will need to replace it.
- Install a new door: If you have had to replace the door frame, you will also need to install a new door to complete the repair. Make sure to measure the opening carefully and choose a door that fits properly. Pre-hung doors make installation easier, but they do cost more.
- Reinforce the door and frame: To prevent future kick-ins, you may want to consider reinforcing the door and frame with additional security measures, such as a deadbolt lock or a door reinforcement kit.
Remember to always use caution when working with wood and power tools, and consider hiring a professional if you are not comfortable completing the repair yourself.
How Much Does It Cost To Fix a Kicked-In Door?
The average cost of repairing a kicked-in door is $600. However, the cost to fix a kicked-in door will depend on the extent of the damage and the type of repair or replacement needed.
If the door frame is only slightly damaged and can be repaired, the cost may be relatively low. However, if the frame is severely damaged and needs to be replaced, the cost will be higher.
Here are some estimates for the cost of different types of door frame repairs:
- Repairing a slightly damaged door frame: $100 to $300
- Replacing a damaged door frame: $500 to $1,500
- Installing a new door: $200 to $1,000
These estimates are for labor only and do not include the cost of materials. The actual cost will depend on the specific repair needed and the location of the property. It is always a good idea to get estimates from multiple contractors to find the best price.
Remember to also consider the cost of reinforcing the door and frame to prevent future kick-ins. This may involve installing a deadbolt lock or a door reinforcement kit, which can cost an additional $50 to $200.